Saturday, October 10, 2009

10 Questions: A Book Meme


1) Which five books are closest to you right now?
Lady of Milkweed Manor (Julie Klassen), A People and A Nation (Norton, et al), Oliver Twist (Charles Dickens), A River Runs Through It and Other Stories (Norman Maclean), What the Best College Teachers Do (Ken Bain)

2) How many books have you got 'on the go' (currently reading, or stalled)?
Four.

3) Describe your ideal reading place.
Lying in bed, propped up with fluffy pillows. *Or* sitting outside on a nice cool day.

4) Roughly (or exactly, if you're keeping count) how many books have you read so far this year? Are you taking part in a challenge?
39 books completed this year (so far).
I participated in a Historical Fiction reading challenge at Paperback Swap earlier in the year, but am currently not in any challenges. I hope to join one sometime soon.

5) If you were going on a long journey, would you grab your current read, or an old standby?
I would take my current read, and a second book to start in case I finish the first one.

6) Has the proliferation of sites such as Wikipedia or even Google curbed you of buying reference books on your favourite topics?
No. The internet cannot replace the specialized reference materials I use in teaching (college history).

7) Do you have an e-reader/kindle? How many books do you have on it?
No. I am not totally sold on them. I imagine I'll get one eventually, but right now I still like the feel and smell of real books too much (and I can't justify the cost right now either).

8) If you get into a series of books, do you devour them all at once, or mix it up to make them last?
I tend to read them all at once, but have been skipping around a bit lately since I don't always have the whole series right away.

 9) Which book has surprised you (pleasantly, unpleasantly, or just factually) most recently?
Lady of Milkweed Manor by Julie Klassen. I picked it up not really knowing what it was about, but as soon as I started reading the prologue, I was hooked.

10) Recommend a book completely at random, to anyone who may be reading your answers.
If you're a historical fiction fan, try The Winthrop Woman by Anya Seton. I read it over the summer and really enjoyed it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails