Friday, October 2, 2009

Book Review: Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson


I picked up a *brand new* copy of Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson at our used bookstore a few months back. I couldn't pass it up--it is such a classic story that I have fond memories of, it only cost 80 cents, and did I mention it was brand spanking new?? I was so excited about my great find!

The day I bought the book, I read it to both of my kids before bed. My 2-year-old daughter actually sat through it without getting bored and demanding one of her usual books. My 4-year-old son thought it was quite exciting! The next day, he carried the book around all morning, and at lunch he talked about how Harold drew a boat when he fell in the water and drew a big balloon when he "fell off of the mountain and was flying through the air!" Photobucket He really seems to enjoy the imaginative and quick-thinking actions of Harold and his Purple Crayon.

I cannot believe this book was first printed in the 1950s. It is still so readable and timeless. I will definitely be keeping my eye out for some of the other books featuring Harold and his Purple Crayon.

Book Details:
Crockett Johnson. Harold and the Purple Crayon. Harper Collins, 1998 (reprint). 64 pp. $6.99, ISBN 978-0064430227. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails