Monday, October 5, 2009

Mailbox Monday - October 5

Mailbox Monday
Every week Marcia at The Printed Page hosts Mailbox Monday. This is a chance for book lovers to showcase all the great reads that came to their house and to go see what other book lovers acquired over the past week.

..............................................................


From Paperback Swap, I received In the Devil's Snare: The Salem Witchcraft Crisis of 1692 by Mary Beth Norton. I have been working on reading more books on early American History ever since I started teaching a US History survey course at my local community college. I was much more interested in 20th century History when I was a student, but have found that I've become much more interested in early America than I used to be. I've heard this is one of the best scholarly treatments on the topic.

 ..............................................................


Another Paperback Swap acquisition, The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan arrived on Tuesday. I saw a trailer for the upcoming movie based on the book when I went to see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince this summer, and it looked interesting. I figured I'd give it a try. It's the first in a series called "Percy Jackson and the Olympians."

 ..............................................................

My daughter and I made a quick stop at the used bookstore on the way home from preschool on Wednesday afternoon and she picked out these two Clifford books:
She really loves Clifford right now, and was so excited to find them. I love the used bookstore--partly because I love kids books at 55 cents each! My kids also love stopping at this bookstore--they often request it, and we end up there more often than our local library because it's closer.

 ..............................................................


I got The Centurion's Wife by Davis Bunn and Janette Oke from Paperback Swap. It was on my wishlist for a few weeks. I think I was partly drawn in to this book because of the beautiful cover. I'm looking forward to giving this book a try. It's not a time period I usually read, but really, who could resist that pretty cover?

..............................................................


Lastly, I picked up a gorgeous copy of Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War by Nathaniel Philbrick over the weekend at the hospital auxiliary thrift store that my grandmother works at. I almost fainted to get a like-new copy of a book for 50 cents! I'm looking forward to reading this--I had it on my wish list over at Paperback Swap.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails