Thursday, October 15, 2009

The November Novella Challenge - Completed


I'm joining in on the November Novella Challenge, hosted by J.T. of Bibliofreak. Why novellas, and what the heck are they? Here's what J.T. has to say:
The novella is, I feel, a marginalized type of fiction.  Longer than a short story, shorter than a novel, sometimes called a novelette, it’s tough to define.  In general, I consider it to be somewhere between 70 and 120 pages.  Perhaps it’s better to say what it is not?  It is not a play.  It is not epic poetry.  It is not a slim book of short stories.  It is not any sort of tract or treatise or manifesto or other such nonfiction. But it IS perfect for a few things: curling up in front of a fire on a windy night, you can finish it off in one sitting.
One of my very favorite stories *ever* is a novella (A River Runs Through It by Norman Maclean), so I thought I'd try another. I'm doing the easy Level I participation, which is just one novella, with the option of going up to Level II (four novellas). Here's what I chose to read (click for reviews):
Revenge, Legends of the Fall, and The Man Who Gave Up His Name are all published together as a collection titled Legends of the Fall by Jim Harrison.

Completed on November 19, 2009.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails