Saturday, October 31, 2009

What My Child Is Reading - October 31



Every week Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns hosts What My Child Is Reading. It's a chance to share the books that our kids love and have been reading for the past week. Today I'm focusing on books my 4.5-year-old son has been reading this week.


My son has really been enjoying Mrs. Morgan's Lawn by Barney Saltzberg this week. Mrs. Morgan loves her lawn. She loves it so much that she keeps it clear of all leaves and stray balls. The main character has lost many, many balls to Mrs. Morgan's lawn and asks her for them back, but she acts like she doesn't know what he is talking about. It's not until she become sick and the main character rakes the leaves off of her lawn for her that she thanks him by surprising him with his entire lost ball collection. This isn't my favorite book to read to my son, but he has been requesting it lately.


Little Bear Won't Go To Bed by Jutta Langreuter is a book my mom picked up for my son because she says it reminded her of him. Little Bear would rather be with his mom and dad than sleep in his bed, and glasses of water, stories, and even the "sniffing game" won't help. Finally he realizes that if he doesn't sleep in his own bed his stuffed animals will be lonely. It's really a cute story, and my son loves it when I play the "sniffing game" with him now.

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein is a classic that both my son and I love to read together. The tree loves her boy and gives and gives and gives of herself to make him happy until all that is left is a stump. And in the end, all he needs is the stump as a place to sit and rest, making them both happy in the end. The story is bittersweet and a bit open-ended in interpretation (is the moral of the story about giving or taking, or is it a bit of both?). But we love it anyway.

*****************************

That's just a small sampling of what my son has been reading this week. Visit Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns for more children's book suggestions. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails