Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Children's Classics - Celebrate the Holidays!


Children's Classics

This month's Children's Classics carnival at 5 Minutes for Books is focusing on children's books that relate to any of the holidays that are coming up over the next couple of months. I've picked two books that are well-loved at our house.

First is A Charlie Brown Christmas by Charles M. Schultz, a story I remember from my childhood and one my kids also love this time of year. Poor Charlie Brown is depressed and disillusioned by the commercial and selfish qualities that Christmas brings out in people. He tries to cheer up by directing the Christmas play, but when he picks out a puny little Christmas tree that everyone laughs at, he wonders if anyone remembers what Christmas is all about. Linus steps in to remind everyone of the meaning of Christmas, and Charlie Brown sets off to decorate his little tree. After a setback, his friends arrive to help him give the little tree some love, which fixes Charlie Brown's mood right up. It's a sweet story (even with Charlie Brown's frequent mood swings) that we really enjoy.


This second book was one of my favorites growing up, The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams. I had the book and a little velveteen rabbit that came with it, which I loved so much! I have always associated it with Christmastime, even though it is something that can be read year-round. First published in 1922, it has been reprinted countless times, with several different illustrators. I am partial to the original art, by William Nicholson. If you haven't read this book, I really recommend it! The Velveteen Rabbit, stuffed with sawdust and with real thread whiskers, is given to a boy for Christmas. He lives in the boy's nursery and wishes he would become real through the love of his boy. It is a precious story, and your heart soars when he finally gets his wish. I really, really love this story. I haven't read it yet to my kids, though--it's a bit long for them still. But it is on our bookshelf, and we will give it a try sometime soon.

Those are two of my favorite children's books for the holidays. Find more great holiday children's books at the Children's Classics carnival at 5 Minutes for Books.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails