Sunday, November 15, 2009

Mailbox Monday - November 16



Every week Marcia at The Printed Page hosts Mailbox Monday. It's a chance to share the books that came to your house last week, and to check out what other book lovers received. I always end up with several new books on my wish list after I go check out other people's mailboxes on Mondays.

I had an exciting week in my mailbox. :-) A couple of wish list books received, a few contest wins, and a couple of purchases...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I probably should have bought this a couple of years ago, but it's never too late to try, right? Raise Your Kids Without Raising Your Voice by Sarah Chana Radcliffe has actually been on my wish list for over a year now. I finally got it last week from Paperback Swap. Hopefully it will give me some pointers on how to avoid my tendency to yell at the kids when they've pushed my buttons.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I received Across the Endless River by Thad Carhart from Marcia at The Printed Page through her Read It Forward program on Mailbox Monday. She is so nice for passing her books along in this way, and I cannot wait to read it. She gave it a great review. Frequent visitors to my blog are aware of my love for historical fiction, and this book, which focuses on the son of Sacajawea and Toussaint Charbonneau, is right up my alley. I've been working on reading more hist-fic based in America.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I won The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova in a giveaway last month at Revenge of the Book Nerds! (Thanks Jaime!) It's a bit creepier than my usual reading fare, and I'm not really into vampire books, but I just had to give it a try--the title alone called out to the historian in me. ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am feeling the Thanksgiving spirit and decided to buy The Littlest Pilgrim by Brandi Dougherty and Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks by Margaret Sutherland for the kids. I bought them at BookDepository.com--free shipping worldwide made it a really good deal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I won an ARC copy of Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr from Cindy at Princess Bookie. It's a YA book, and it sounds like a really good read (and hopefully a really fast read!). When I'm done with it I'm probably going to pass it on to my schoolteacher sis-in-law.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 I also got a second book from my Paperback Swap wish list this week: Hood (book 1 of The King Raven Trilogy) by Stephen R. Lawhead. Why this book? I have always had a "thing" for the story of Robin Hood and thought this looked like an interesting spin on a familiar tale.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lastly, I received a review copy of The Story of Christmas by Gwen Ellis from the publisher, Thomas Nelson. It looks like a really neat gift idea for the holidays--it includes a Bible story DVD! I'll hopefully look this over with my kids this week and get a review up by Sunday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, that was my exciting mailbox from the past week. What was in your mailbox?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails