Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Awesome Author Challenge 2010


Yep, another challenge post. I'm joining the Awesome Author Challenge 2010, hosted by Alyce at At Home With Books. The idea behind this challenge is to read works by authors who have been recommended to you time and again, but you haven't gotten around to reading them yet. These are the authors that everyone else tells you are awesome, thus the "Awesome Author Challenge" title.

I've got quite a few unread books on my TBR pile that I think will fit in nicely with this challenge.


The Rules:

The challenge starts January 1, 2010 and ends December 31, 2010.

Crossover from other challenges is allowed.

Titles and authors do not have to be predetermined, and can change at any time.

Books can come from any genre or reading level, the only requirement is that you have heard great things about the author, but haven't yet read any of their works.

I'm shooting for the Moderate participation level, which is to pick six authors and read one book by each of them. I'll keep track of my authors and reviews on this post.

Here's a tentative list:
  • Daphne Du Maurier - this choice was influenced by Laura at Laura's Book Reviews - I'm thinking I'm going to read The King's General.
  • Alison Weir - I keep hearing that her non-fiction is very readable. I've got The Life of Elizabeth I on my TBR pile.
  • Charlotte Brontë - One of my friends counts Jane Eyre as her favorite book ever, so I figured this would be a good addition to my TBR pile. It's honestly a little bit embarrassing that I haven't read this one.
Completed:
  1. Deeanne Gist - When it comes to Christian Historical Romance, she is an author that is quite often recommended. I read A Bride Most Begrudging and enjoyed it enough to want to read more of her books. I already have Courting Trouble on my TBR pile for future reading.
  2. Georgette Heyer - I read The Nonesuch for my first taste of Heyer. It was a bit hard to get into at first, but I was enchanted by the time I reached the end. Looking forward to reading more of her books!
  3. Francine Rivers - I read Her Mother's Hope and enjoyed it very much. I'm so glad I have some more Francine Rivers books on my TBR pile!
  4. Agatha Christie - How have I not read a book by the queen of mystery before now? I finally picked up one of her books and learned exactly why she is so beloved. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was fantastic.
  5. Margaret Atwood - Wow, I read The Handmaid's Tale and I really think it will be a classic someday. I could see it being read and discussed 100 years from now. I'm looking forward to reading more of her work.
  6. Jules Verne - I read one of his most famous works, Around the World in Eighty Days and although I didn't particularly care for it, I'm still interested in trying one of his science fiction books, From the Earth to the Moon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails