Friday, December 4, 2009

Friday Firsts - December 4



The first line can make or break a reader’s interest. Just how well did the author pull you in to the story with their first sentence?


I'm reading Wind of the Spirit by J.M Hochstetler (ISBN: 978-0-9797485-3-0) this week in preparation for the book's blog tour stop here next week (December 11). Here's the first line:

"The sailboat heeled sharply to starboard, bucking against the inrushing tide and contrary winds at the broad mouth of the Hudson River."

It is a descriptive and interesting line, but it didn't grab me right away. I had to keep reading to really get hooked. That was accomplished by the time I was finished with the first page. LOL! I really like this series (review of the first book Daughter of Liberty here), and I absolutely love Elizabeth. I'm looking forward to finding out what happens!

For more information on how to participate in this weekly book meme, visit Well-Read Reviews.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails