Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Book List: 3 Best/Worst Sidekicks to a Hero


Rebecca at Lost in Books hosts The Book List. Each Tuesday she asks for three books in a certain category. Participants will post their lists and link to their posts at her site. This week's list looked like fun:

3 Best/Worst Sidekicks to a Hero

I had a hard time thinking of my answers for this one, partly because I didn't want to include Harry Potter (which Rebecca already used). So, I racked my brain trying to come up with some heros and sidekicks from books I've read recently. My list ended up being 3 Best Sidekicks (couldn't think of any Worsts).

  1. Temeraire and Laurence in Naomi Novik's Temeraire series. I couldn't decide who is the sidekick and who is the hero, though--they're more like partners. This is a bit of an unusual choice, since Temeraire is a dragon, but I adore Temeraire. :-)
  2. Mansur to Adelia in Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin. He is Amelia's Arab protector who poses as a doctor in Adelia's stead (it would be scandalous for a woman to practice medicine in Medieval England) while they try to solve the mystery of who is murdering the children of Cambridge.
  3. Kahlan and Zedd to Richard Cypher in Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series (my opinion is based on having read the first 4 books in the series). I could almost call these "worst" because they sometimes do the stupidest things in hopes of helping Richard, but then end up bungling things up (mainly Kahlan LOL). But I like them all, and if they didn't have stupid moments then they wouldn't be as enjoyable to read.
So, who are your 3 Best/Worst Sidekicks to a Hero? Go on over to Lost in Books and join us in this week's Book List

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails