Sunday, April 11, 2010

24 Hour Read-a-thon Wrap-up Post


The Read-a-Thon is over, and now I have several new reviews to write! I started out yesterday morning not knowing I was going to do the read-a-thon. Hubby would have been grouchy with me (he doesn't understand my reading hobby), so since he wasn't scheduled to work I didn't sign up. But then he had to go in on Saturday morning, so I made the decision to give it a shot, even though I was starting late and knowing I'd have all kinds of distractions from my 3-year-old and almost 5-year-old.

I was right about the distractions. First I had some work I had to finish before I could dive in (had a few things to finish grading for the weekend) and then I of course had to stop and get the kids snacks, meals, and take some breaks to read with them and spend time with them. I always had an ear open to what they were doing when I did get a few pages in. I barely got any reading done in the morning, but during the afternoon while they were taking a nap I got a couple of good hours of reading in. Most of my reading was done while they were sleeping, though I did count any reading done with them (my kids love to read and be read to). I obviously didn't stay up for the entire 24 hours, but I did stay up until midnight here (Pacific time) reading.

End of Event Meme Questions:

1. Which hour was most daunting for you? None of them felt "daunting" since I was doing this in a pretty relaxed manner. I guess the hardest hour was the first couple of hours because I had so many other things going on and wasn't able to get any reading done until about Hour 6.

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? Not really--I have no problems reading for long stretches of time and didn't lose interest in any of the books I picked up. I also had a lot of interruptions, though, which helped keep me from getting too bored with a book.

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Cheerleaders should bring cookies. LOL! Anyway, I would have loved to have had more visitors to my blog during the readathon, but I signed up last-minute so it's OK.

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? I loved being able to chat with other readathon-ers on Twitter.

5. How many books did you read? 6

6. What were the names of the books you read?
  • Her Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers
  • The Book of Light by Lucille Clifton
  • A Charlie Brown Christmas by Charles Schulz
  • Walt Disney's Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too 
  • Apples and Oranges by Sara Pinto
  • Bear Wants More by Karma Wilson
7. Which book did you enjoy most? Her Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers

8. Which did you enjoy least? The Book of Light by Lucille Clifton. It is poetry, and I had a hard time with it because as poetry it is broken up into small bits. I had an easier time sticking with a narrative story, even when it was really long (Her Mother's Hope is 500 pages long).

9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? I wasn't a cheerleader, but I plan to volunteer to cheer next time.

10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I would love to be able to participate again, it just depends on my schedule and what I can work out with the hubby. I think I would volunteer to do a few hours of cheering along with reading.

Just a couple of more stats:

Number of pages read: 435
Total hours spent reading (not counting interruptions): 8

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails