Saturday, April 3, 2010

What My Kids Have Been Reading - April 3

It's been a while since I posted about what my kids (ages 3 and almost 5) are reading, so I'm going to do a few mini-reviews of some books that they have been enjoying this week.

I found a fabulous lightly-used hardcover copy of Corduroy by Don Freeman at our local Goodwill bookstore, and ever since we brought it home my son has requested it almost every night. He loves that Corduroy comes to life and goes looking for his missing button, that he pulls a button off of a mattress in the "palace" on the second floor of the department store, and that the little girl comes back to take him home with money from her piggy bank. The illustrations are delightful and the story is sweet.

Auntie M and Uncle B gave my kids the Maurice Sendak Nutshell Library for Christmas this year, which includes Chicken Soup With Rice. My kids both love this book. The rhymes are entertaining and witty, the illustrations make us giggle (especially when the boy becomes a Christmas tree trimmed with bowls of soup), and it has inspired my oldest to become fixated with the calendar. He now has his own calendar in his room, has learned the order of the months and how to read a calendar, and now is obsessed with holidays. This book seems to have unleashed a whole new level of interest in a topic he had never really thought of before. He also seems a little bit less hesitant about soup when we have it for lunch. LOL

My daughter absolutely adores The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter right now. She has requested it every night over the past week, sometimes at naptime too. The story creeps me out a little (especially since Mr. MacGregor apparently wants to put Peter in a pie), but that's just me. The illustrations are magical--you have to love a little bunny with such a sweet little blue coat, and you can't help but forgive him for his naughtiness and cheer him on as he tries to find his way back home. My daughter loves the part where Peter jumps in the watering can, and always laughs when he sneezes. This was another happy thrift store find. I may have to seek out some more Beatrix Potter stories.

So, those are some of the books my kids have been enjoying this week. Now that I look at them, I think you could probably consider them classics, couldn't you? They were all published before I was born, and are still popular and in print.


Every week Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns hosts What My Child Is Reading. Kid Konnection is another weekly feature highlighting children's books, hosted by Julie at Booking Mama.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails