Friday, June 4, 2010

Book Beginnings on Friday: A Wish After Midnight by Zetta Elliott

I just started A Wish After Midnight by Zetta Elliott (ISBN-13: 978-098255505-7) and loved the first paragraph:

"I turn my back, close my eyes, and toss the penny over my shoulder. I hear it slap against the water, but I turn around just the same and watch it sink to the bottom of the fountain. It lies there with all the other glittering coins. Money unspent. Wishes waiting to come true."

This was a great way to start the book. It provides a nice visual and some insight into the narrator. She's making a wish--what is she wishing for? The next paragraph explains, but I liked how the first paragraph immediately pulled me in. I'm just a few (short) chapters in so far, and although it's mostly provided a lot of setting and little action, I'm still looking forward to digging further in to this book.

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Becky at Page Turners.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails