Thursday, September 16, 2010

BBAW Days 3 & 4 - Unexpected Treasure and Forgotten Treasures


Yesterday was Day 3 of Book Blogger Appreciation Week, and unfortunately I've been a bit distracted by a local wildfire so I'm a bit late on posting this. The theme for the day was Unexpected Treasure:
We invite you to share with us a book or genre you tried due to the influence of another blogger.  What made you cave in to try something new and what was the experience like?
One of the most recent series that I've started reading is Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia Grey series. I think I first heard about the series from my friend Margaret at Creative Madness Mama, who reviewed Silent on the Moor last year and Angie at Angieville has favorably reviewed several of her books. With those positive reviews, it was enough to make me curious.

I ordered the first book (Silent in the Grave) from Paperback Swap, someone gave me the second book (Silent in the Sanctuary), I bought a copy of the third book (Silent on the Moor)... and then they just sat on my TBR pile. Until I was offered book 4 (Dark Road to Darjeeling) for review this month. I said yes, then picked up those books that had been languishing in my TBR pile and started to read. And couldn't stop. In the last week, I have read Silent in the Grave, Silent in the Sanctuary, and Silent on the Moor in quick succession. They have been great fun to read--historical mysteries are one of my favorite genres to read so these have been right up my alley. I'm going to start Dark Road to Darjeeling tonight, and my reviews of all of these books will be posted in the near future as a lead up to the release of Dark Road to Darjeeling at the beginning of October.

If I hadn't started reading book blogs, I probably wouldn't have heard of this series. Book blogs rock my world!

To read more book bloggers' Unexpected Treasures, click here for the BBAW Day 3 Link-up!

◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊

Today is Day 4 of Book Blogger Appreciation Week, and the theme is Forgotten Treasures.
Sure we’ve all read about Freedom and Mockingjay but we likely have a book we wish would get more attention by book bloggers, whether it’s a forgotten classic or under marketed contemporary fiction.  This is your chance to tell the community why they should consider reading this book!
The first book that came to mind is an older one than I used to assign in my modern US History class--Warriors Don't Cry by Melba Patillo Beals. It was one of the first books I reviewed on my blog (don't laugh when you read it--it's really short!). The book is a memoir written by a girl who was one of the Little Rock Nine, a group of African American students who were the first black students to attend Little Rock High School. Her story is horrifying but inspiring at the same time. It is a wonderful reminder of the resiliency of the human spirit and the great strides that we have made since 1957. It is really easy to read for a work of nonfiction, and although I've seen it recommended as a YA book, I recommend it to anyone looking for a book set in the Civil Rights era.

To check out more book bloggers' Forgotten Treasures, click here to go to the BBAW Day 4 Link-up!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails