Monday, January 3, 2011

The Last of my 2010 Challenge Wrapups


Success! I signed up to re-read 4-6 books and completed 4. Here's my final list:
  1. Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne (6/2010)
  2. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (8/2010) 
  3. A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (11/2010) 
  4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling (11/2010)
 My favorite book read for this challenge was Harry Potter, and my least favorite was Around the World in Eighty Days.

❆❆❆❆❆❆❆❆


Success! This challenge required 6 Austenesque activities. It was a lot of fun--for some reason I was totally in the mood for Austen and Austen-inspired things during December so I was able to complete it before January. Here's my list:
  1. Anne Elliot, A New Beginning  by Mary Lydon Simonsen
  2. Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler
  3. 1971 BBC adaptation of Persuasion
  4. The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls Wilder by Erin Blakemore
  5. Letters from Pemberley by Jane Dawkins
  6. More Letters From Pemberley by Jane Dawkins
My favorite activity I think was the 1971 film adaptation of Persuasion, which was surprisingly good! All of the books I read were a lot of fun as well.

❆❆❆❆❆❆❆❆

atournamentofreading

Success! I signed up for the Peasant level on this challenge (3 books of any kind) and ended up reading 5 books--4 historical fiction and 1 history book. I almost reached Lord level, but I just couldn't stay interested in the Medieval literature book I picked out (The Quest of the Holy Grail) so I kind of gave up on it in December. Here's my final list:
  1. Scoundrel's Kiss by Carrie Lofty
  2. Watermark by Vanitha Sankaran
  3. Seasons in the Mist by Deborah Kinnard
  4. Highland Blessings by Jennifer Hudson Taylor
  5. The Black Death and the Transformation of the West by David Herlihy (history) 
I really liked Watermark and Seasons in the Mist the most, but all of these books were pleasant surprises for me. This isn't really a time period I read a lot of.

❆❆❆❆❆❆❆❆


Failed! I signed up to read one Really Old Classic (anything written before 1600 AD) and I failed. I was planning to read The Quest of the Holy Grail for both this challenge and the Medieval Challenge, but I couldn't stay interested in it.

❆❆❆❆❆❆❆❆


Failed, but I knew I would. :) This challenge was to read 24 Christian Historical Fiction novels during the year. I managed to read 17 (and reviewed 14 before the end of the year). Here's my final list:
  1. A Bride Most Begrudging by Deeanne Gist
  2. The Silent Governess by Julie Klassen
  3. Deep Harbor by Lisa Tawn Bergren 
  4. Faithful Heart by Al Lacy
  5. The Country House Courtship by Linore Rose Burkard
  6. Her Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers 
  7. The Hidden Flame by Davis Bunn and Janette Oke 
  8. Seasons in the Mist by Deborah Kinnard 
  9. Hearts Awakening by Delia Parr 
  10. Highland Blessings by Jennifer Hudson Taylor 
  11. Love Finds You in Victory Heights, Washington by Tricia Goyer & Ocieanna Fleiss 
  12. Love's First Bloom by Delia Parr 
  13. Within My Heart by Tamera Alexander
  14. The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson
  15. A Woman's Place by Lynn Austin
  16. Sweet Boundless by Kristen Heitzmann
  17. The Captain's Lady by Louise Gouge
There were so many fantastic books in this list! This is one of my favorite genres, and I really enjoyed reading these books. It's too hard to pick out my favorite book from this list, but I will say that Al Lacy's Faithful Heart was my least favorite of the bunch.

❆❆❆❆❆❆❆❆

So that's it, the last of my 2010 challenge wrap-up posts. I believe I signed up for a whopping 17 challenges over the course of 2010, and failed three of them. Not bad, but I tended to pick participation levels I knew I could probably meet with few problems.

There are so many wonderful reading challenges in the blogosphere (check out A Novel Challenge if you're looking for a master list!), but I am restraining myself this year and trying to place fewer demands on myself. I have a feeling this year will be a busy one and I don't want to stress myself out with reading challenge requirements. If you want to see what I'm tackling this year, check out my "Challenges" tab underneath my blog header.

Happy reading!

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails