Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Jon Stewart and Authors

I love it when Jon Stewart hosts authors and historians as his guests. I get all geeked out about it, and the discussions are always interesting.

Like tonight (Wednesday, May 18)--Jon had historian and author Richard Beeman on the show. His most recent book, Plain Honest Men: The Making of the American Constitution, just came out in paperback. Besides my weakness for bow ties, I was really taken by the discussion of Constitutional history that took place. Maybe it's because I'm grading essays on the nullification crisis right now (which centers on constitutional issues), but that conversation on The Daily Show totally made my night. I loved that he pulled out his little pocket Constitution at one point so he could read the exact wording of the 14th amendment. When Jon went to commercial, I turned to my husband and said, "That man is absolutely adorable."

He looked at me like I was insane, but historians like Richard Beeman are like rock stars to me. Don't even get me started on the fact that I actually met Patricia Nelson Limerick at a conference once...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails